- An unusual biography of an unusual man.
- graphic and vivid descriptions of the war and its atrocities give the book a raw power.
- Hogg’s observations are sharp and incisive about this turbulent period.
Review by Rubery Book Award
- everything comes alive
- an accomplished chronicler with the ability to enthral with details and insights into a world that has long gone.
Review by Midwest Book Review
- A remarkable life lived out in remarkable times
- a deftly crafted and impressively informative biography
- unreservedly recommended
- for the personal reading lists of academia and non-specialist general readers.
Readers Favorite 5-star rating
- a fascinating read.
- vivid and real
- Thomas’ narrative is engaging, well-organized, well-paced, and educational.
- will inspire those who read this book.
Review by Foreword Clarion
- in-depth and well-researched homage
- an informative and meticulously researched portrait
- He writes with a vivid, engaging voice
Review by The Book Bag
Any book that convinces me that maybe there is still hope in the world – that for all the mistakes made thus far, still being made right now, there is a common humanity which ultimately, eventually, must do some good .....
Review by Blue Ink
Hogg’s lyrical anecdotes of the people he meets provide insightful firsthand accounts of war-torn China.
Review by Kirkus
Hogg’s lively letters and journalism thus serve as a rare witness to the Sino-Japanese War.
Amazon (UK) customer review
This book is highly recommended reading for humanitarians, historians, Sinophiles, and anyone who enjoys reading a good biography.